We've talked about famous last words before, but how about famous last foods? Some of these soon-to-be-deceased got to choose and others had no idea they were about to munch their last morsels. See what they swallowed, then think about what you'd pick if you knew death was coming. Let us know in the comments.
1. Julia Child. Julia requested French onion soup made from her own recipe shortly before she died of kidney failure in 2004.
2. Abraham Lincoln is said to have enjoyed a Good Friday dinner at the White House before heading out to Ford's Theater that fateful April night. The meal included mock turtle soup, roast Virginia fowl with chestnut stuffing, baked yams and cauliflower with cheese sauce.
3. Jimi Hendrix's tuna fish on white bread is actually part of what killed him. After downing the sandwich with some wine, it all came back up. He choked to death on his own vomit, according to the official autopsy.
4. Marilyn Monroe. Her last meal was quite the feast: gazpacho, chicken breasts, taco dip, meatballs, refried beans and veal parmigiana.
5. JFK. During a morning meeting prior to his motorcade, Kennedy enjoyed a breakfast of soft-boiled eggs,
bacon orange juice, bacon, orange juice, toast and coffee.
6. Ernest Hemingway. When he and his wife Mary ate at the Christiania restaurant in Ketchum, Idaho, the night before his suicide, Hemingway may have known he was ordering his last meal. Although his waitress doesn't remember what he ordered that night, she said he always ordered the exact same thing, making his last supper likely this: a New York strip steak, a baked potato, Caesar salad and Bordeaux wine.
7. Jim Morrison. The night before he died, he and his girlfriend Pamela went to see a movie, followed by a stop for some Chinese food on the way home. He ate sweet and sour chicken with a few beers, according to Pamela, and died several hours later (Pam said he also drank whiskey straight from the bottle and did some heroin before dying in the bathtub).
8. Karen Carpenter. The anorexic singer had a large meal with her parents at Bob's Big Boy in Downey, California, that included a big shrimp salad. She even requested a stop for a taco on the way home, telling her mom and dad that she was still hungry.
9. Elvis. The King's much-publicized last meal was four scoops of ice cream and six chocolate chip cookies, eaten as a middle-of-the-night snack (or really early breakfast) at 4 a.m.
10. John Wayne Gacy, of course, was able to request his final meal. The serial killer wasn't about to leave any of his favorites out - the clown's buffet included a dozen deep-fried shrimp, a whole bucket of original recipe chicken from KFC, French fries and a whole pound of strawberries.
For the record, Mama Cass Elliot's didn't die choking on a ham sandwich as urban legend frequently tells us - there was no food in her system when the autopsy was conducted.
My last meal? I'm not sure about the entree, but dessert would definitely include my Grandma Grunt's famous sour cream cookies. How about you?