We had a lot of fun giving away daily neatorama prizes this month! We hope you enjoyed the new aspect of the game. We're taking all your feedback into consideration for the next hunt, so thanks for being active on the Facebook page. Head over there to find out if you're a random winner, as we'll be pulling those later today. Meantime, congrats to our first place winner, Rachel Horn! Let's meet her now:
I'm thrilled to be the winner of the month! I've been playing HDYK on and off for over two years, but this is my first victory. I always look forward to the last week of the month, and my whole family--mom, dad, and younger sister--enjoys helping out with answers. I've just graduated from high school in Cincinnati, and will be a freshman at Harvard in the fall with a probable concentration in comparative religion. This summer, I'll be singing in the chorus of a community theater production of Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, attempting to learn the guitar, taking French lessons, playing my saxophone more often, and working on the 6.5-by-6.5-foot crossword puzzle that I got as a graduation present. The photo is of my friend Peter and me, all dressed up for our senior prom. Thanks to everyone involved for a great HDYK contest...can't wait for next month!
[5+2+21+(15+24)] - 8 =59 - Alan Wilder was born in 1959 and wrote the B-side ("IN Your Memory") of "People are People"
BAITSUBTLESHIRTUP Ã Battleship
Starting at top right and proceeding clockwise:
1. Hellcats of the Navy (1957)
2. Sink the Bismarck (1960)
3. Flight of the Intruder (1991)
4. Destination Tokyo (1943)
5. Pearl Harbor (2001)
The first clip shows coordinates H1, E2, A3, and D4 (spelling the word head); the next, E1, G2, and G3 (egg); and the third, B1, A2, D3 (bad). The phrase, then, is "Bad Egg Head".
1. The first first act starts it "“ DEBUT
2. Olympian Olga "“ KORBUT
3. Northern Atlantic food fish "“ HALIBUT
4. The Missouri to the Mississippi, for one "“ TRIBUTARY
5. Debate reply "“ REBUTTAL
6. Clothing fastener "“ BUTTON
7. Sam Franklin on "The Brady Bunch" "“ BUTCHER
8. Monarch or Viceroy "“ BUTTERFLY
The common three-letter word is but.
1. H&R Block
2. Barnes & Noble
4. Abercrombie & Fitch
6. Bed Bath & Beyond
The pictures are of George Foreman, an avocado, Oregon, a door, Eeyore, a scoreboard, and popcorn. The avocado is the only one not to have the "or" sound.
The seven words are ZIP, RIGHTFUL, QUACKS, BEVY, JEWS, ONYX, and MOD, so the keyword is BJMOQRZ.
1. Ray Charles
2. Susan Sarandon
3. Michael Jeter
4. Patrick Stewart
5. David Robinson
6. Aimee Mann
7. Awadagin Pratt
8. Tony Bennett
9. Mary Chapin Carpenter
10. Harry Belafonte
11. Ellen DeGeneres
12. Peter Gabriel
13. Chris Barron
Each Greek letter becomes its English equivalent, resulting in:
"It's all Greek to me:
This is the bonus round"¦
This alphabet is called?"
The pictured celebrities are Carrie Fisher, Brad Pitt, Judy Garland, Howie Mandel, Willie Aames, and Sarah Jessica Parker.
1. Use the Force (U's D 4's) "“ Carrie Fisher
2. Eight is Enough (AT Z NF) "“ Willie Aames
3. Open the Case (OPN T K's) "“ Howie Mandel
4. Sex in the City (SX N T CT) "“ Sarah Jessica Parker
5. Foreign Movies (4N MU V's)
6. Ocean's Eleven (OSH N's 11) "“ Brad Pitt
7. Ruby Slippers (R B's LP R's) "“ Judy Garland
The unused plate is #5, Foreign Movies.
1. Ray Romano
2. Paul Reubens
3. Jack Nicholson
4. Colbie Caillat
All have names that are names (or homophones) of types of cheese: Romano, Rubens, Jack, and Colby.
A "“ Lindsay Lohan B "“ Daniel Baldwin C "“ Shia LaBeouf
D "“ Nicole Richie E "“ Nick Nolte F "“ Paul Reubens
G "“ Bill Gates H "“ Tim Allen I "“ Heather Locklear
1. Bill Gates (G) has the greatest net worth
2. Daniel Baldwin (B) will turn 50
3. Lindsay Lohan (A) and Nick Nolte (E) have alliterative names
4. Paul Reubens (F) appeared in Level 2
5. Shia LaBeouf (C) has all five vowels in his name
This leaves Nicole Richie (D), Tim Allen (H), and Heather Locklear (I). The resulting word is hid.
[5+2+21+(15+24)] - 8 =59
Alan Wilder was born in 1959 and wrote the B-side ("IN Your Memory") of "People are People"
We would have taken any Depeche Mode connection, btw.