15 Offbeat Holidays You Can Celebrate in August
Many of August's quirky holidays revolve around celebrating loved ones and seasonal delights, so grab your relatives and some marshmallows and let's party.
1. AUGUST 1: GIRLFRIEND’S/GIRLFRIENDS DAY
Some say this is a day for one's female significant other, while some call it a day for women to celebrate their female friendships. Either way, celebrate the ladies in your life on August 1.
2. AUGUST 1: RESPECT FOR PARENTS DAY
We have a feeling an unappreciated parent came up with this one.
3. AUGUST 1: ROUNDS RESOUNDING DAY
This offbeat holiday honors the art of singing rounds, so find some pitch perfect friends and warm up those vocal chords.
4. AUGUST 6: NATIONAL MUSTARD DAY
We'll use any excuse to eat a hot dog—or three.
5. AUGUST 7: NATIONAL LIGHTHOUSE DAY
The one day a year in which we shine a light on these beautiful beacons.
6. AUGUST 7: SISTERS’ DAY
Intertwined braids not required, but encouraged.
7. AUGUST 8: SNEAK SOME ZUCCHINI ONTO YOUR NEIGHBOR'S PORCH DAY/NIGHT
Not a euphemism!
8. AUGUST 10: NATIONAL S’MORES DAY
No need to wait until the middle of August to get this party started. The holiday just means you should have extra.
9. AUGUST 13: MIDDLE CHILDREN’S DAY
We have just the thing to send those oft-overlooked kids who could use some encouragement.
10. AUGUST 15: NATIONAL RELAXATION DAY
Preferably celebrated in a hammock, on a beach, or with a pooped pup.
11. AUGUST 16: JOE MILLER’S JOKE DAY
Joe Miller was an 18th century English actor whose reputation for being serious was so well known, we now hold an offbeat joke-telling holiday in his honor.
12. AUGUST 16: NATIONAL ROLLER COASTER DAY
The amusement first took root in the U.S. as a means of distracting people from unsavory entertainments. More than 130 years later, it's still going strong.
13. AUGUST 18: BAD POETRY DAY
The sheer amount of bad poetry in the world makes this one far too easy to commemorate.
14: AUGUST 20: INTERNATIONAL GEOCACHING DAY
In the year of Pokémon Go, people all over the place will be participating in this holiday celebration without even knowing it.
15. AUGUST 26: NATIONAL DOG DAY
This was what we looked like when we found out about this holiday.
Holidays found in Chase's Calendar of Events 2016. All photos courtesy of iStock unless otherwise noted.