19 Offbeat Holidays You Can Celebrate in April
Spring is in the air—and with these offbeat holidays, there's more than just the weather to celebrate.
1. APRIL 1: NATIONAL FUN AT WORK DAY
Good luck with this one.
2. APRIL 2: INTERNATIONAL PILLOW FIGHT DAY
Have a pillow fight! But maybe don't wake someone up by holding a pillow over them like in the photo above ... though to be fair they seem to be having a fun time.
3. APRIL 2: NATIONAL FERRET DAY
We'll definitely be celebrating.
4. APRIL 2: NATIONAL LOVE YOUR PRODUCE MANAGER DAY
Or as Gilmore Girl fans everywhere refer to it, Sookie and Jackson Day. (OK, Jackson wasn't technically a produce manager, but let's give it up for all produce men and women everywhere.)
5. APRIL 5: NATIONAL DEEP DISH PIZZA DAY
6. APRIL 6: SORRY CHARLIE DAY
This holiday was inspired by Charlie the Tuna—the cartoon mascot for StarKist and the subject of an advertising campaign that ran until the 1980s. In the spots, Charlie purports to have good taste, and wants to be recruited by the company, but is perpetually rejected via a sign on a fish hook that reads, "Sorry, Charlie." (As the narrator explains, they're interested in tuna that tastes good, not tuna with good taste.) The ads spawned a national catchphrase, and this holiday seeks to recognize all those who have lived through rejection and still retain their spunk.
7. APRIL 7: INTERNATIONAL BEAVER DAY
Ferrets aren't the only small mammals we love here at mental_floss: International Beaver Day will warrant its own party too.
8. APRIL 7: NATIONAL BEER DAY
As if you needed a reason to celebrate.
9. APRIL 11: BARBERSHOP QUARTET DAY
Consider a musical ode to these fearsome foursomes on their special day of the year.
10. APRIL 11: INTERNATIONAL “LOUIE LOUIE” DAY
"Louie Louie" is, by some accounts, the most recorded rock song in history. (The most famous version was recorded by The Kingsmen in 1963.) This year, celebrate this offbeat holiday by finally figuring out the lyrics.
11. APRIL 14: CELEBRATE TEEN LITERATURE DAY
We might have a favorite teen lit author, but on this holiday, there's no need to choose sides. Let's celebrate them all.
12. APRIL 15: NATIONAL THAT SUCKS DAY
It's Tax Day and the anniversary of the sinking of the Titanic, so yeah, kind of sucky.
13. APRIL 16: NATIONAL AUCTIONEERS DAY
We suggest that you celebrate your favorite auctioneer verbally, as long as you do so very quickly.
14. APRIL 18: NATIONAL STRESS AWARENESS DAY
Founded on the very cute notion that you are not aware of your stress.
15. APRIL 21: NATIONAL BULLDOGS ARE BEAUTIFUL DAY
If you didn't already know this, you can see yourself out.
16. APRIL 21: NATIONAL HIGH FIVE DAY
Make 'em count today, and don't forget to keep an eye on the elbow.
17. APRIL 22: NATIONAL JELLY BEAN DAY
Unclear why this offbeat holiday doesn't fall closer to Easter, or on Ronald Reagan's birthday, but no matter. When you grab a handful to celebrate this year, just make sure you don't get "BeanBoozled."
18. APRIL 25: WORLD PENGUIN DAY
Seriously, all the animal holidays are good with us.
19. APRIL 29: NATIONAL HAIRBALL AWARENESS DAY
Don't become a statistic.
Holidays found in Chase's Calendar of Events 2016. All photos courtesy of iStock unless otherwise noted.