Frank Barratt/Keystone/Getty Images
Frank Barratt/Keystone/Getty Images

The Alternate-Universe Careers of 5 Celebrities

Frank Barratt/Keystone/Getty Images
Frank Barratt/Keystone/Getty Images

Although these celebrities could have easily stepped into their family businesses, they decided to look beyond their lineage. But here's what they could have been doing...

1. Vincent Price: Candymaker

He may be best known for his legendary horror movies and voice work, but had Vincent Price followed in his family footsteps, his life would have gone much differently. His grandfather, Dr. Vincent C. Price, invented “Dr. Price’s Baking Powder,” the first cream of tartar baking powder. Dr. Price made a fortune from his creation, then lost it all in the economic Panic of 1893. But the family interest in food didn’t stop there. Price’s father, Vincent Leonard Price, Sr., founded the National Candy Company, a St. Louis-based business that supplied sweets and treats to five-and-dime stores across the country.

Vincent Price, Jr. certainly could have stepped up to be an executive in the family business, but knew at a young age that his heart was in acting. However, his foodie lineage never left him entirely. A gourmet chef, Price authored several cookbooks and even hosted his own show, Cooking Price-Wise.

2. Julia Louis-Dreyfus: International Conglomerate CEO 


The Veep star doesn’t just come from a rich family—she comes from one of the richest families in the world. In 2006, Forbes estimated that Julia’s father, Gérard Louis-Dreyfus, was worth approximately $3.4 billion. The family fortune began with Léopold Louis-Dreyfus, a French businessman who founded the Louis Dreyfus Group in 1851 by trading grains with nearby farms. Over time, the company eventually expanded into “a global merchandiser of commodities and processor of agricultural goods,” similar to Cargill and Archer Daniels Midland.

3. Carly Simon: Publishing Magnate


You’re no doubt familiar with the publishing house Simon & Schuster. Well, Carly Simon’s dad made up half of that partnership. The story goes that Richard Simon got the idea to launch the company when his aunt, a New York Times crossword devotee, wondered if there was a book of the puzzles she could purchase to give as a gift. Nothing like that existed, so Simon contacted his friend Max Schuster and made it happen. The crossword puzzle book was a bestseller, and Simon & Schuster went on to become one of the “Big Five” publishers in the U.S.

4. Olivia Newton-John: Academic


Long before singer/actress Olivia Newton-John was getting physical, her grandpa was all-physics. (I’m sorry/you’re welcome.) Her maternal grandfather, Max Born, was a Nobel Prize-winning physicist who assisted in the development of quantum mechanics. Later in life, her mother translated a book of letters between Born and Albert Einstein. Newton-John's father was no slouch in the academic department, either: Brinley Newton-John was an MI5 officer during WWII, and later served as the headmaster at Cambridge Boys’ Grammar School and a professor at King’s College in Cambridge.

Newton-John has admitted that the world of academics never interested her much, but believes she did inherit the family work ethic. “Poor mum, I gave her such a hard time but I’m very grateful to her that she always pushed me to be the best at what I could and work hard, so I’ve got that in my genes. I just didn’t do any studying.”

5. Nick Kroll: Private Investigator


For a comedian, Nick Kroll comes from a family with a pretty serious line of work. His father, Jules B. Kroll, founded Kroll, Inc., a corporate investigations and cyber security firm. Though his brother, Jeremy, followed in the family footsteps, Nick knew early on that he wasn’t cut out for that particular line of work:

“I worked as an intern at Kroll, Inc. while I was in college in Washington, D.C.,” he told Fortune magazine in 2010. “But I was so incompetent at digging up information—it took me two hours to get a phone number of a guy who worked at Johnson & Johnson—that I thought maybe I shouldn’t be a private investigator after all.”

Karl Walter, Getty Images
When the FBI Investigated the 'Murder' of Nine Inch Nails's Trent Reznor
Karl Walter, Getty Images
Karl Walter, Getty Images

The two people standing over the body, Michigan State Police detective Paul Wood told the Hard Copy cameras, “had a distinctive-type uniform on. As I recall: black pants, some type of leather jacket with a design on it, and one was wearing combat boots. The other was wearing what looked like patent leather shoes. So if it was a homicide, I was thinking it was possibly a gang-type homicide.”

Wood was describing a puzzling case local police, state police, and eventually the FBI had worked hard to solve for over a year. The mystery began in 1989, when farmer Robert Reed spotted a circular group of objects floating over his farm just outside of rural Burr Oak, Michigan; it turned out to be a cluster of weather balloons attached to a Super 8 camera.

When the camera landed on his property, the surprised farmer didn't develop the footage—he turned it over to the police. Some local farmers had recently gotten into trouble for letting wild marijuana grow on the edges of their properties, and Reed thought the balloons and camera were a possible surveillance technique. But no state or local jurisdictions used such rudimentary methods, so the state police in East Lansing decided to develop the film. What they saw shocked them.

A city street at night; a lifeless male body with a mysterious substance strewn across his face; two black-clad men standing over the body as the camera swirled away up into the sky, with a third individual seen at the edge of the frame running away, seemingly as fast as possible. Michigan police immediately began analyzing the footage for clues, and noticed the lights of Chicago’s elevated train system, which was over 100 miles away.

It was the first clue in what would become a year-long investigation into what they believed was either a cult killing or gang murder. When they solved the “crime” of what they believed was a real-life snuff film, they were more shocked than when the investigation began: The footage was from the music video for “Down In It,” the debut single from industrial rock band Nine Inch Nails, and the supposed dead body was the group's very-much-alive lead singer, Trent Reznor.


In 1989, Nine Inch Nails was about to release their debut album, Pretty Hate Machine, which would go on to be certified triple platinum in the United States. The record would define the emerging industrial rock sound that Reznor and his rotating cast of bandmates would experiment with throughout the 1990s and even today on albums like The Downward Spiral and The Slip.

The band chose the song “Down In It”—a track with piercing vocals, pulsing electronic drums, sampled sound effects, and twisted nursery rhyme-inspired lyrics—as Pretty Hate Machine's first single. They began working with H-Gun, a Chicago-based multimedia team led by filmmakers Eric Zimmerman and Benjamin Stokes (who had created videos for such bands as Ministry and Revolting Cocks), and sketched out a rough idea for the music video.

Filmed on location among warehouses and parking garages in Chicago, the video was supposed to culminate in a shot with a leather-jacketed Reznor running to the top of a building, while two then-members of the band followed him wearing studded jumpsuits; the video would fade out with an epic floating zoom shot to imply that Reznor's cornstarch-for-blood-covered character had fallen off the building and died in the street. Because the cash-strapped upstarts didn’t have enough money for a fancy crane to achieve the shot for their video, they opted to tie weather balloons to the camera and let it float up from Reznor, who was lying in the street surrounded by his bandmates. They eventually hoped to play the footage backward to get the shot in the final video.

Instead, the Windy City lived up to its name and quickly whisked the balloons and camera away. With Reznor playing dead and his bandmates looking down at him, only one of the filmmakers noticed. He tried to chase down the runaway camera—which captured his pursuit—but it was lost, forcing them to finish shooting the rest of the video and release it without the planned shot from the missing footage in September of 1989.

Meanwhile, unbeknownst to the band, a drama involving their lost camera was unfolding in southwest Michigan. Police there eventually involved the Chicago police, whose detectives determined that the footage had been filmed in an alley in the city's Fulton River District. After Chicago authorities found no homicide reports matching the footage for the neighborhood and that particular time frame, they handed the video over to the FBI, whose pathologists reportedly said that, based on the substance on the individual, the body in the video was rotting.


The "substance" in question was actually the result of the low-quality film and the color of the cornstarch on the singer’s face, which had also been incorporated into the press photos for Pretty Hate Machine. It was a nod to the band's early live shows, in which Reznor would spew cornstarch and chocolate syrup on his band members and the audience. “It looks really great under the lights, grungey, a sort of anti-Bon Jovi and the whole glamour thing,” Reznor said in a 1991 interview.

With no other easy options, and in order to generate any leads that might help them identify the victim seen in the video, the authorities distributed flyers to Chicago schools asking if anyone knew any details behind the strange “killing.”

The tactic worked. A local art student was watching MTV in 1991 and saw the distinctive video for “Down In It,” which reminded him of one of the flyers he had seen at school. He contacted the Chicago police to tip them off to who their supposed "murder victim" really was. Nine Inch Nails’s manager was notified, and he told Reznor and the filmmakers what had really happened to their lost footage.

“It’s interesting that our top federal agency, the Federal Bureau of [Investigation], couldn’t crack the Super 8 code,” co-director Zimmerman said in an interview. As for Wood and any embarrassment law enforcement had after the investigation: “I thought it was our duty, one way or the other, to determine what was on that film,” he said.

“My initial reaction was that it was really funny that something could be that blown out of proportion with this many people worked up about it,” Reznor said, and later told an interviewer, “There was talk that I would have to appear and talk to prove that I was alive.” Even though—in the eyes of state, local, and federal authorities—he was reportedly dead for over a year, Reznor didn’t seem to be bothered by it: “Somebody at the FBI had been watching too much Hitchcock or David Lynch or something,” he reasoned.

ZUMA Press, Inc., Alamy
5 Fascinating Facts About Koko the Gorilla
ZUMA Press, Inc., Alamy
ZUMA Press, Inc., Alamy

After 46 years of learning, making new friends, and challenging ideas about language, Koko the gorilla died in her sleep at her home at the Gorilla Foundation in Woodside, California on June 21, 2018. Koko first gained recognition in the late 1970s for her ability to use sign language, but it was her friendly personality that made her a beloved icon. Here are five facts you should know about the history-making ape.


Francine "Penny" Patterson, then a graduate student at Stanford University, was looking for an animal subject for her inter-species animal communication experiment in the early 1970s when she found a baby gorilla at the San Francisco Zoo. Originally named Hanabiko (Japanese for "fireworks child," a reference to her Fourth of July birthdate), Koko took to signing quickly. Some of the first words Koko learned in "Gorilla Sign Language," Patterson's modified version of American Sign Language, were "food," "drink," and "more." She followed a similar trajectory as a human toddler, learning the bulk of her words between ages 2.5 and 4.5. Eventually Koko would come to know over 1000 signs and understand about 2000 words spoken to her in English. Though she never got a grasp on grammar or syntax, she was able to express complex ideas, like sadness when watching a sad movie and her desire to have a baby.


Not only did Koko use language to communicate—she also used it in a way that was once only thought possible in humans. Her caretakers have reported her signing about objects that weren't in the room, recalling memories, and even commenting on language itself. Her vocabulary was on par with that of a 3-year-old child.


Koko was the most famous great ape who knew sign language, but she wasn't alone. Michael, a male gorilla who lived with Koko at the Gorilla Foundation from 1976 until his death in 2000, learned over 500 signs with help from Koko and Patterson. He was even able to express the memory of his mother being killed by poachers when he was a baby. Other non-human primates have also shown they're capable of learning sign language, like Washoe the chimpanzee and Chantek the orangutan.


Koko received many visitors during her lifetime, including some celebrities. When Robin Williams came to her home in Woodside, California in 2001, the two bonded right away, with Williams tickling the gorilla and Koko trying on his glasses. But perhaps her most famous celebrity encounter came when Mr. Rogers paid her a visit in 1999. She immediately recognized him as the star of one of her favorite shows, Mister Rogers' Neighborhood, and greeted him by helping him take off his shoes like he did at the start of every episode.


Koko was never able to have offspring of her own, but she did adopt several cats. After asking for a kitten, she was allowed to pick one from a litter for her birthday in 1985. She named the gray-and-white cat "All Ball" and handled it gently as if it were her real baby, even trying to nurse it. She had recently received two new kittens for her 44th birthday named Ms. Gray and Ms. Black.


More from mental floss studios