Days After Netflix Increased Its Subscription Prices, Hulu Is Lowering Theirs

Good news, Hulu users: The price of your video-on-demand subscription will soon be $2 cheaper, according to Variety. Hulu is reducing its monthly fee from $7.99 to $5.99 in hopes of attracting more viewers to its ad-supported streaming platform while also boosting its ad revenue.

New subscribers can take advantage of reduced prices starting February 26, and current users will see savings on their first bill after February 26. There's a catch, though—at least for those who subscribe to Hulu's Live TV package. The cost of that service, which provides access to more than 60 live TV channels in addition to Hulu's streaming options, will go up $5, from $39.99 to $44.99 per month.

Although Hulu has reportedly been planning these pricing changes for months, the timing couldn't be more advantageous. Its competitor, Netflix, hiked the price of its Standard plan just last week from $10.99 to $12.99 per month. The Premium plan also increased by $2 to $15.99, and for the first time in the company's history, Netflix raised the cost of its Basic plan, which is now a dollar steeper, at $8.99. The changes are now in effect and apply to all U.S. subscribers.

For now, Netflix still has more subscribers—more than 58 million, compared to Hulu's 25 million. However, Hulu has the largest selection of TV shows of any streaming service. It offers more than 85,000 episodes, in addition to thousands of movies. And Hulu users can also anticipate more original series in the future. Disney is set to acquire 60 percent of Hulu (Comcast and At&T will retain the other 40 percent), and Disney CEO Bob Iger said he plans to increase investments in original programming.

[h/t Variety]

Welcome to the Party, Pal: A Die Hard Board Game is Coming

Win McNamee, Getty Images
Win McNamee, Getty Images

On the heels of the 30th anniversary of the classic Bruce Willis action film Die Hard last year, tabletop board game company The OP has announced that John McClane will once again battle his way through Nakatomi Plaza. Die Hard: The Nakatomi Heist is a board game officially licensed by Fox Consumer Products that will drop players into a setting familiar to anyone who has seen the film: As New York cop McClane tries to reconcile with his estranged wife, he must navigate a team of cutthroat thieves set on overtaking a Los Angeles high-rise.

The box art for the 'Die Hard: The Nakatomi Heist' board game is pictured
The OP

The game is expected to have a one-against-many format, with one player assuming the role of McClane and the other players conspiring as the thieves to eliminate him from the Plaza.

The OP, also known as USAOpoly, has previously created games based on Avengers: Infinity War and the Harry Potter franchise. Die Hard has spawned four sequels, the latest being 2013’s A Good Day to Die Hard. Willis will likely return as McClane for a sixth installment that will alternate between the present day and his rookie years in the NYPD. That film has no release date set.

The board game is expected to arrive this spring.

[h/t MovieWeb]

Ralph Fiennes Doesn’t Want to See Anyone Else Play Voldemort


Who knew actor Ralph Fiennes would be so possessive of his Voldemort role from the Harry Potter movies? After all the hours sitting in a makeup chair, putting on a bald cap, and making his nose disappear day after day, you’d think Fiennes would be ok with never playing this evil character again—especially considering that he almost turned down the role in the first place. But it seems that the character really grew on the two-time Oscar nominee. As Screen Rant reports, Fiennes has made it clear that if Voldemort is ever needed in a future film, he's ready to come back.

“Well, there are variants, aren’t there? Fantastic Beasts and things. I feel a kind of affection for Voldemort," Fiennes said while appearing on Newsnight. "So if there was a world in which Voldemort came back, I would be very possessive about wanting to reprise that."

Voldemort coming back was always a lingering danger in the early Harry Potter books and movies, as fans waited eagerly to see the Dark Lord reborn and return to full power. It was definitely worth the wait when we were finally able to watch Voldemort return toward the end of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, the fourth book—and movie—in the series.

As of right now though, it's uncertain whether Fiennes will ever get the chance to reprise his role. The only movies exploring the Wizarding World currently are the Fantastic Beasts films, which take place in 1927. Voldemort was born in 1926, so even if there would be a substantial time jump, Fiennes might be too old to play Voldemort. But at least we know that he is dedicated to the character, and that if Voldemort ever did come back, fans could count on him to jump right back into the role.

[h/t: Screen Rant]