Netflix Could Lose Up to a Quarter of Its Subscribers If It Adds Commercials

iStock
iStock

In August, Netflix quietly began rolling out ads promoting its own content. The promos are skippable, only play at the end of episodes, and have been tested on just a select group of subscribers so far. None of that alone is a cause for panic, but the experiment has gotten some Netflix users thinking: Would the service still be worth it if it's no longer commercial-free? For about a quarter of them, the answer is no, according to a new study reported by IndieWire.

The entertainment trend researchers at Hub surveyed 1612 U.S. TV viewers between the ages of 16 and 74. When asked if they would continue paying the same price for Netflix if the service introduced ads, 23 percent said no, 41 percent said definitely or most likely yes, and 37 percent were unsure.

The answers looked different when the participants were asked if they'd settle for ads if the subscription price was lowered to $3 a month. In that scenario, only 16 percent would leave Netflix while 50 percent would continue their subscriptions.

Netflix is still technically commercial-free for the time being, which users report as one the service's most appealing features, according to Hub. And even if Netflix does eventually interrupt your binging sessions with a few ads, the price will still likely be worth it over cable.

[h/t IndieWire]

George RR Martin's New Book, Fire and Blood, Is Getting Some Seriously Mixed Reviews

Jason Merritt, Getty Images
Jason Merritt, Getty Images

Many fans of George RR Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series, a.k.a. the books that inspired HBO's smash hit Game of Thrones, were extremely peeved the acclaimed author was taking time to write a companion book, Fire and Blood, instead of finishing up the next book in the series, The Winds of Winter. But a new George RR Martin book is still a new George RR Martin book, and Fire and Bloodhas seen some brisk sales—even if the reviews have been rather mixed.

Let's start with the positive: The Sunday Times published a review in which it declared the book "a masterpiece of popular historical fiction." Writer Dan Jones wrote that, "Martin is an avid consumer and regurgitator of history: his Westeros writing pulses with influences from Plantagenet-era Britain and beyond." However, the critic does recognize the book itself is "a piece of epic procrastination."

Writing for The Times, critic Hugo Rifkind wasn't quite as kind:

"Essentially, it is all one long synopsis for about 50 books that he will never get around to writing, which itself has only been written because he can’t get around to writing the other two Game of Thrones books that his fans are waiting for. Worse still, after a doorstop of a thing, we’re still a century and a half short of GoT even beginning, which means there’s another volume of this interminable, self-indulgent crap to come."

Ouch.

Publishers Weekly didn't mince words either, writing: "Martin’s evocative storytelling style and gift for gripping narrative are mostly absent from this dry history. Fans hungry for the next Song of Ice and Fire novel will find this volume whets, but does not satisfy, their appetites."

We're sure Martin's writing is on par with his previous books, but it's just the content that people don't want. All we can really hope for moving forward is that the author is motivated to continue writing The Winds of Winter. In the meantime, if you want to form your own opinion, Fire and Blood is out now.

Sebastian Stan Still Doesn't Know If He's in Avengers 4

Michael Loccisano, Getty Images
Michael Loccisano, Getty Images

Since Avengers: Infinity War hit theaters earlier this year and pretty much ripped our hearts out with Thanos's deadly snap, Marvel fans have been speculating how our almighty heroes (and which ones) will return for the next film in the series. While audiences have yet to learn which characters from the last film will make it to Avengers 4, we would assume the MCU's stars would be clued in to their characters' fates. Though he may be playing coy, Sebastian Stan claims even he still doesn't even know whether or not he'll be a part of the as-yet-untitled film.

Marvel fans are in agreement that Bucky will be brought back to life at some point in the future. Stan is ​reportedly signed on for a nine-film contract, and will even star in a series alongside Anthony Mackie's Falcon for Disney+. But as for his Avengers 4 status, Stan is saying very little.

"When I was shooting anything, nobody ever told me what was part one or part two," Stan recently told ​Collider. "The truth is, I don’t even know if I’m in [Avengers 4]. What I shot was in part one. And anything that I shot may or may not have been in part one or part two and I still don’t know."

"There were things that we shot that were never gonna make it because it was easier to just convolute the whole thing. So in a way, you go ‘Alright, that’s cool, but ...,'" Stan continued. "But you know it’s going to deliver on a level that we probably haven’t even digested yet. Because that’s what they do best."

Stan is likely trying to stay away from spoilers and play it safe here. In fact, last year, the actor actually confirmed he would be in Avengers 4 to ​CinemaBlend. And while it's possible that the situation could have changed since, we're not quite buying it.

So good job, Sebastian Stan: you've thoroughly confused us. (But we're still pretty sure we'll see you in the next Avengers movie.)

SECTIONS

arrow
LIVE SMARTER