Crystal Ball Failed to Predict Bedroom Fire
A bedroom fire in northeast London, England, was started when sunlight was concentrated through a crystal ball on the windowsill. An unnamed man was asleep in the bedroom when a smoke alarm woke him, enabling him to escape. The man and a woman tried to extinguish the flames with a garden hose and towels, but then fled the home and called the fire department. Firefighters spent an hour putting out the blaze. Fire investigator Mick Boyle said glass ornaments, bottles, and mirrors should never be kept in sunny windows.
Man Eats Nothing But Pizza For 25 Years
Dan Janssen is 38 years old, and he hasn’t eaten anything besides pizza in the past 25 years. While monotonous, that doesn’t necessarily sound too unhealthy, because you can put anything on a pizza: meats, vegetables, even fruit and seafood. But Janssen only eats cheese pizza!
Janssen wasn’t always on the pizza-only diet, though. It all began when, as a teenager, he decided to become a vegetarian for ethical reasons. But he hated vegetables, so he just decided to start surviving on pizza alone. He says he knows he must sound “like a horribly unhealthy and fat person” but he says he’s in fact thin, has tons of energy and feels great every day.
However, Janssen does have diabetes. He says he gets variety in his diet by eating different brands of pizza, or going to different restaurants. Janssen is not so much a vegetarian as he is just a “tarian.” Where I come from, that diet is called “picky eating.”
Snake Pickled in Liquor Bites Woman
An unidentified woman in Harbin, China, decided to make some snake liquor to help her arthritis. The medicinal liquor is made by adding a venomous snake to alcohol such as baijiu, and letting it steep so that the essence of the snake infuses the liquor. The woman had been dispensing the liquor from a spigot at the bottom of the container. When the alcohol level got low, three months after adding the viper, she opened the top of the container to add more baijiu, and the snake bit her! The woman was treated for the bite on her finger. The snake had apparently gone into hibernation and woke up not only trapped and angry, but also drunk. Maybe next time she will make snake liquor with a dead snake, as the recipe calls for.
Guy Wearing Breaking Bad Shirt Busted for Meth Lab
Acting on a tip, Cook County Sheriff’s officers arrested 21-year-old Daniel Kowalski at his home near Lagrange, Illinois, on several charges related to running a meth lab. In addition to meth and manufacturing equipment, police also found twelve jars of psychedelic mushrooms in the home. It was Kowalski’s second arrest for meth charges, and he was still wearing an electronic monitoring device from the earlier arrest when he was picked up Monday.
Kowalski was ordered to home confinement after his arrest last July, according to sheriff’s spokeswoman Sophia Ansari.
In the mug shot after his most recent arrest, Kowalski is wearing a T-shirt bearing the words "Los Pollos Hermanos," the name of a restaurant used as a front by a meth dealer in the TV series “Breaking Bad.’’
Kowalski’s mugshot has since gone viral because of the appropriate t-shirt.
6,000 Gallons of Spilled Milk
If that isn’t something to cry about, I don’t know what is. A tanker truck carrying 6,000 gallons of milk crashed into the front of a house in Hunker, Pennsylvania, on Thursday afternoon. Two people were inside the home near the point of impact, but were not injured. The truck driver sustained only minor injuries. The house was badly damaged, and the entire load of milk was spilled into the front yard. Authorities say they will contact the Environmental Protection Agency about the milk spill.
Two Dogs Take Truck on Joyride
A pickup truck came very close to plunging into the Arkansas River in Tulsa, Oklahoma on Tuesday. The truck, belonging to a man identified only as Scott, was parked on a hill. While Scott was inside a house, his two dogs Luna and Roscoe were left in the truck.
"I got around to the front of the house where the truck was, and it's like not there," he said. "And I was like 'did I get towed?' and I just thought no it didn't."
One of the dogs put the car into gear and they took off.
"Approximately three blocks down a hill," Tulsa firefighter Clay Ayers said.
The dogs missed drivers on Riverside Drive, runners on the trail and narrowly missed landing in the Arkansas River.
The truck was stopped by the brush along the river. The vehicle was badly damaged. Roscoe and Luna were uninjured, and were let go with a warning.