Thousands of Rare Stephen King Writings Lost in Basement Flood in Maine

iStock
iStock

Famed horror novelist Stephen King has published over 50 books, which means there's a lot of King memorabilia out there for fans to collect. But the trove of manuscripts and first edition novels produced by the author got a little smaller on January 16. As Bangor Daily News reports, about 2000 rare Stephen King works were destroyed by a water main break in Bangor, Maine.

The ruined collection belonged to Gerald Winters, owner of Gerald Winters & Son Rare Books. He’d spent the past two decades traveling the world acquiring signed books, galleys, manuscripts, and rare prints from King’s body of work. Even though Winters makes a living selling rare books, he held onto the valuable King collectibles for a more noble purpose: opening a museum dedicated to the writer's works for more fans to enjoy.

A year ago, Winters moved from his home in Thailand to King’s hometown of Bangor, Maine to realize that dream. Now, following a water main break outside his business that filled his basement with a few feet of water, that dream looks a lot less likely. The writings, which Winters normally stored upstairs, had been moved to the basement so he could reorganize his shop. He estimates that only 10 percent of his original inventory remains.

Among the works that were lost were manuscripts of “Dolan’s Cadillac,” Maximum Overdrive, and The Eyes of the Dragon typed by King himself. Winters had also collected signed books from the authors J.R.R. Tolkien, J.K. Rowling, and George R.R. Martin.

“You can’t replace this stuff,” he told Bangor Daily News.

After hearing about the tragedy, Stephen King told Bangor Daily News that he felt horrified. “As a book lover, my heart goes out to him,” he said. He plans to contact Winters and offer what help he can.

[h/t Bangor Daily News]

Marvel Fan Creates Petition to Bring Back Luke Cage Following Netflix Cancellation

David Lee, Netflix
David Lee, Netflix

Fans are still shocked over Netflix's cancellation of ​Luke Cage​. For many, it's the end to an important series that tackled racial issues and privilege with a predominantly black cast. So Marvel fans are fighting to bring it back.

Luke Hunter took to Change.org and launched a petition for ​Netflix to bring back the two-time People's Choice Award-nominated show.

Luke Cage is the finest Marvel show in existence," the petition plea begins. "It exemplifies heroics, sassy banter, great music, and family fun. The cancellation of this beloved show is utterly flabbergasting. We must fight to save our hero of Harlem as he fights for us. Save Power Man!”

The petition, which started yesterday, already has 2060 signees, with a goal of 2500 signatures.

Luke Cage is one of many Marvel shows that Netflix has axed in recent months. The streaming service ​cancelled Iron Fist just last week.

Unfortunately, Marvel’s Luke Cage will not return for a third season," Marvel and Netflix announced in a joint statement. "Everyone at Marvel Television and Netflix is grateful to the dedicated showrunner, writers, cast and crew who brought Harlem’s Hero to life for the past two seasons, and to all the fans who have supported the series."

Deadline Hollywood is reporting that Disney has no plans to bring back the show on its ​upcoming streaming service, or on any other platform.

Halloween Breaks Franchise Record With $77.5M Opening

Ryan Green, Universal Pictures
Ryan Green, Universal Pictures

Horror fans have waited nearly a decade to see ​Michael Myers return to the big screen, and have finally gotten to see the knife-wielding serial killer return in an exhilarating and frightening new movie.

The nine-year wait for a new Halloween movie was the longest in the series' history, and it did not disappoint—especially when it came to its box office haul. In North America, ​Variety reports that the movie earned $77.5 million over the weekend after launching on nearly 4000 screens. It's the second-highest October debut in history, only behind this year's Venom.

The new film, which is directed by David Gordon Green, obliterated the series' previous record-holder, Rob Zombie's polarizing 2007 remake, which made $26 million in its first weekend.

"I am enormously proud of this film,” producer Jason Blum said in a statement. “Halloween brings the franchise back to life in a fresh, relevant, and fun way that is winning over fans and critics alike.”

Early estimates were targeting a $65 million opening weekend, but it hardly comes as a surprise that fans came out in droves to see the movie. Not only is Halloween a direct sequel to John Carpenter's 1978 classic, which is easily the most acclaimed film in the series' history, but it also saw ​Jamie Lee Curtis reprise her iconic role as Laurie Strode.

Curtis wasn't the only returning player; ​John Carpenter came on board as the executive producer, which marks his first direct involvement in the series since 1981's Halloween 2.

SECTIONS

arrow
LIVE SMARTER