Trailer Thursday: Pacific Rim, Grown Ups 2
Welcome to Trailer Thursday, where we help you decide what to do with your Friday night (and when to stay home). Here’s what’s coming out tomorrow.
So, these massive, horrible creatures called Kaiju have risen from the sea and are threatening to exterminate the human race. Humans, of course, aren't taking this lying down. To combat the Kaiju, humans have created huge robots called Jaegers, which are mentally controlled by two pilots. Things aren't looking good for mankind, and the pilots of these machines are our last hope. Will they save the world? Will there be an exploding Jaeger that will result in a comic-relief character making a joke about a Jaegerbomb? To be continued...
See it if:
- You want to see Charlie Day being quasi-serious.
- After being disappointed by The Lone Ranger last weekend, you're looking for a good action flick this weekend. It's currently 72 percent fresh on Rotten Tomatoes.
- You definitely prefer apocalyptic sea monsters to apocalyptic zombies.
Grown Ups 2
Just like Eliot Spitzer and Anthony Weiner, Adam Sandler is back even though you prefer he wasn't. He and his improbable movie wife, Salma Hayek, have decided to move from L.A. to his little hometown in New England to raise their kids. Shenanigans ensue, including a run-in with the frat-tastic Taylor Lautner and Patrick Schwarzenegger.
See it if:
- You've enjoyed every other Adam Sandler movie ever made. Even Little Nicky. (Full disclosure... I really didn't mind Little Nicky.)
- You want to play "I Spy SNL alums," including Andy Samberg, Ellen Cleghorne, Cheri Oteri, Jon Lovitz, Tim Meadows, and Maya Rudolph. Surprise, though: No Rob Schneider.
- You're not deterred by a 3 percent Rotten Tomatoes rating, or this abysmal review: "While it's certainly the movie event of the year for filmgoers passionate about deer urine humor, Grown Ups 2 will bore, annoy, and disgust audiences of nearly every other persuasion."