11 Tasty Tidbits for National Ice Cream Month
In 1984, then-President Ronald Reagan decreed that July would be National Ice Cream Month. Here are eleven fun facts to help you celebrate the occasion.
1. Roman Emperor Nero may have been an early fan.called into question, some sources have claimed that Nero helped spark the evolution of present-day ice cream. The emperor allegedly ordered his slaves to bring ice from nearby mountaintops on hot summer days before mixing it with fruits and honey. If the story is true, this treat was among the first frozen snacks known to history.
2. Martha Washington Used to Serve Ice Cream to her Guests at Mount Vernon.Martha acquired a “cream machine for ice” in 1784.
3. The First Ice Cream Machine for the home was Invented in the 1840s.created the hand-cranked device in 1843, revolutionizing the distribution and sale of ice cream throughout the United States and Canada.
4. The Ice Cream Cone was Popularized at the 1904 St. Louis World's Fair.over a century beforehand, Syrian immigrant and waffle salesman Ernest Hamwi has generally been credited with inventing the first edible version at the 1904 St. Louis World's Fair when a nearby vendor ran out of serving dishes, and the creation sparked a nationwide sensation. However, while Hamwi most certainly did a great deal to popularize ice cream cones at the aforementioned festival, he's no longer cited as their inventor due to a recent re-analysis which dates them back to 1894.
5. Ice Cream Floats were created when a soda shop owner ran out of regular cream.creating the first ice cream soda in the process. One of the beverage's biggest fans was none other than Will Rogers, who exclaimed after first tasting one, “You will think that you have died and gone to heaven!”
6. Ben and Jerry Originally Began Selling Ice Cream Only Because They Couldn't Afford a Bagel Machine.
7. You can buy Squid Ice Cream in Japan.many weird and wonderful flavors one can enjoy in the land of the rising sun.
8. After the U.S., New Zealand is the world's largest ice-cream-consuming nation.global top 10 list.
9. A 2012 study found that the brain of an Ice Cream lover bears a striking resemblance to that of a cocaine addict.it reacts in the same way as a cocaine user's does in a period of withdrawal.
10. Long Beach, California consumes more Ice Cream than any other U.S. City.Long Beachers eat ice cream a whopping 268 percent more than the average American." Fort Worth and Dallas also scored well above average when it comes to devouring ice cream.
11. Ice Cream Truck jingles are a lot more diverse than you might expect.petitioned the city council to tighten their restrictions on ice cream truck jingle volume: “I'm not anti-ice cream," the resident said. "I just don't think they need to play the music that loud and that often. It's obnoxious.”
[All photos courtesy of Getty Images]