iStock
iStock

Patagonia Created a Bikini That Won't Slip Off

iStock
iStock

As all bikini-wearers know, the two-piece bathing suit is a risky choice for active sports. The pesky fabric has a tendency to fall out of place, or—if you're doing something like tubing or water skiing—fall off completely. Before you opt for a one piece, know that Patagonia has found a possible solution for your bikini woes. They've created a special bathing suit that won't slip off, no matter how many waves hit you.

The product is the result of Patagonia talking with female surfers, who say they prefer bikinis because it makes them feel freer in the water.

“I don’t see a lot of people trying to create women’s products that are specifically built for sport and that’s discouraging. In surfing, all the swimwear innovation is happening on the men’s side of the business,” Laura Kinman, Patagonia’s product line director of women’s sportswear and surfing, tells Outside.

Bathing suits
Back Country

In 2014, Kinman discovered a sticky fabric that gripped to skin when wet. The material has a large surface area, made up of thousands of microscopic polyester filaments that are 1/175000th the thickness of a human hair. She used them to build a few prototype bikinis and brought them to Oahu's North Shore to let the Patagonia surfing ambassadors test them out.

Although the material, called Nanogrip, feels unusual and takes a long time to dry, it was a big hit with the surfers who tried it out. Thanks to the way the material hugs the body, athletes wearing it no longer have to hold on to their suit when diving or emerging from the water.

You can find the Nanogrip top here and the bottoms here.

nextArticle.image_alt|e
Doc_Brown, Flickr // CC BY-NC-ND 2.0. Cropped.
arrow
This Just In
The Honey Smacks In Your Pantry May Be Contaminated With Salmonella
Doc_Brown, Flickr // CC BY-NC-ND 2.0. Cropped.
Doc_Brown, Flickr // CC BY-NC-ND 2.0. Cropped.

Salmonella, a bacterial food-borne illness often associated with raw eggs and undercooked chicken, has been linked recently to a popular children's cereal. According to Snopes, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) is urging consumers to avoid Kellogg’s Honey Smacks, citing the brand as the likely cause of the Salmonella outbreak spreading across the U.S.

Since early March, 73 people in 31 states have contracted the virus. Salmonella clears up in most people on its own, but in some cases it can lead to hospitalization or even death. Twenty-four victims have been admitted to hospitals so far, with no reported deaths. Of the 39 patients who were questioned, 30 of them remembered eating cold cereal and 14 of them specifically cited Honey Smacks.

In response to the outbreak, the Kellogg Company has recalled its 15.3-ounce and 23-ounce boxes of Honey Smacks printed with any "best if used by" date between June 14, 2018 and June 14, 2019 (recalled boxes are labeled on the bottom with the UPC codes 3800039103 or 3800014810). The CDC recommends that you take even greater precautions by throwing out or returning any Honey Smacks you have at home, regardless of package size, "best by" date, or whether your family has eaten from the box previously without getting sick.

Symptoms of Salmonella include diarrhea, fever, headache, and abdominal pain, and usually appear 12 hours to three days after the contaminated food is ingested. If you or someone in your household is showing signs of the infection, ask a doctor about how to best treat it.

[h/t Snopes]

nextArticle.image_alt|e
Mohd Rasfan, AFP/Getty Images
arrow
This Just In
Australian University Evacuated After Rotten Durian Smell Mistaken for Gas Leak
Mohd Rasfan, AFP/Getty Images
Mohd Rasfan, AFP/Getty Images

If you’ve ever been within sniffing distance of a durian, you would know it: The odor of the Southeast Asian fruit has been compared to decaying flesh, old garbage, and rotten eggs. The scent is so pungent that it prompted the recent evacuation of a university library in Melbourne, Australia, the Australian Associated Press reports.

Firefighters were called to investigate the scene on Saturday, April 28 after a strong smell was reported in the university library of the Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology. Police initially suspected it was a gas leak coming from the potentially harmful chemicals stored at the site. It was only after about 600 students and faculty members were evacuated that firefighters wearing gas masks discovered the true source of the stench: a durian that had been left to rot in a cupboard.

Putrid gases from the fruit had made their way into the air conditioning system, where they circulated thoughout the building and got the attention of the inhabitants. Though durian isn’t toxic, the fruit’s rancid remains are being dealt with by the Environment Protection Authority of Victoria.

Evacuating an entire building over some old produce may seem like an overreaction, but the room-clearing power of durian is taken seriously in other parts of the world. The fruit is banned in some hotels in Southeast Asia, and the Singapore subway famously posts signs warning passengers not to carry it onto trains.

[h/t Australian Associated Press]

SECTIONS

arrow
LIVE SMARTER
More from mental floss studios