The World's Biggest Companies
Enough of this kangaroo, pirate and stem cell talk. It's time to talk money! The Fortune 500 for 2006 is out and I thought there were some interesting facts:
* The world's biggest employer is Wal-Mart, with more than 1.8 million employees. ChinaÂ National Petroleum hasÂ a little bit more than half that many and no other company has more than 900,000.
* Few will be surprised that 3 of 5 most profitable companies are oil companies. The other two are Citigroup and Bank of America.
* For all the talk about how Google is stealing away all Microsoft's talent, Microsoft is still the 13th most profitable company in the world and saw a 50% increase in profits from 2004.
* Apple Computer is 8th on the list of companies with the biggest increase in profits. Their profits increased by 383.7% from 2004.
* Tobacco industry profits grew 49.7%, putting it 4th on the list of industry profit growth.
* Tokyo is home to 52 Global 500 companies, more than double the number in NYC.
* And Exxon Mobil is still edging out Wal-Mart as the biggest company in the world (revenue-wise) by $14 billion. Exxon Mobil brought in almost $340 billion in 2005. That's a good bit higher than mental_floss LLC.