You know Tim Curry as the deliciously devious Doctor Frank-N-Furter from The Rocky Horror Picture Show. You might recall him as Wadsworth, the freakishly fast-talking butler in Clue. And you no doubt remember him from Stephen King's miniseries It as the reason you’re still a little apprehensive about sewers and solitary helium balloons and clowns.
What you may not realize is what an incredibly talented voice actor he is. From a Russian geneticist in Gargoyles to a Harvey Weinstein-esque Dinosaur devil in Dinosaurs, his range is quite impressive. Check out these 12 characters from your childhood and try to come to terms with the fact that Pennywise the Clown is behind all of them.
1. Forte, Beauty and the Beast: The Enchanted Christmas
2. King Chicken, Duckman
3. Nigel Thornberry, The Wild Thornberrys
4. Dr. Anton Sevarius, Gargoyles.
He has a lot of dialogue starting at 8:00.
5. MAL/Blight-5’s computer, Captain Planet and the Planeteers.
Start at 3:10.
6. King Acorn, Sonic the Hedgehog.
7. Various voices on Dinosaurs
Including Chief Elder, Fox Jacket, Henri Poupon and the Devil. Here he is as the latter starting at about 5:00.
8. Mr. Salamone, Eloise: The Animated Series
9. Hexxus, the spirit of destruction in FernGully: The Last Rainforest
He even does a little Frank-N-Furter-style singing in “Toxic Love.”
10. Prince Charles, Tiny Toon Adventures
Incidentally, he was also Reginald, the butler plotting to kidnap Charles and Diana.
11. Rex Pester, The Rugrats Movie
He’s the annoying talk show host guy in this trailer.
12. Sir Gawain, The Legend of Prince Valiant
He’s the knight with the Magnum, P.I. mustache at 1:00.
In addition, Curry has also been a baddie (Dr. Maelstrom) in Where on Earth is Carmen Sandiego, Zimbo in Aaahh!!! Real Monsters, the narrator in A Sesame Street Christmas Carol, and characters in no less than two Barbie movies.
For 12-12-12, we’ll be posting twenty-four '12 lists' throughout the day. Check back 12 minutes after every hour for the latest installment, or see them all here.