31 Bizarre Foreign Titles for American Movies
Film is perhaps America's greatest cultural export. That said, not every American film title translates well into other languages. To bridge the gap, foreign marketers take some very intriguing creative liberties.
Many of the best mangled film titles come from China, where they are downright magical at jazzing up boring old English titles.
1. Pretty Woman – I Will Marry a Prostitute to Save Money
2. As Good as it Gets - Mr. Cat Poop (Apparently, Jack's character name, "Melvin," sounds a lot like the Chinese word for cat poop.)
3. The Professional - This Hit Man Is Not as Cold as He Thought
4. Boogie Nights - His Great Device Makes Him Famous
5. G.I. Jane - Satan Female Soldier
6. Junior - Son of Devil
7. Risky Business - Just Send Him to University Unqualified
8. The Sixth Sense - He’s a Ghost!
Though China possesses Olympic caliber re-titling prowess, other countries will not simply lie down and be outdone.
9. The Hangover - Very Bad Trip (France)
10. The Producers - Please Do Not Touch the Old Women (Italy)
11. Annie Hall - Urban Neurotic (Germany)
12. Bad Santa - Santa is a Pervert (Czech Republic)
13. No Strings Attached – Sex Friends (France)
14. Army of Darkness - Captain Supermarket (Japan)
15. The Horse Whisperer - Held by Wind in Montana (Japan)
16. Girl, Interrupted – 17-Year Old Girl’s Medical Chart (Japan)
17. The Dark Knight - Knight of the Night (Spain)
18. Grease – Vaseline (Argentina)
19. Never Been Kissed – Because She’s Ugly (Philippines)
20. Step Up – Sexy Dance (France)
21. You Only Live Twice - 007 Dies Twice (Japan)
22. Top Gun – Love is in the Sky (Israel)
23. Dragnet - Floppy Coppers Don’t Bite (Germany)
24. Dodgeball - Full of the Nuts (Germany)
25. Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs - Rain of Falafel (Israel)
26. Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory – The Boy Who Drowned in Chocolate Sauce (Denmark)
27. Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me - Austin Powers: The Spy Who Behaved Very Nicely Around Me (Malaysia)
28. Little Fockers - Zany Son-in-Law, Zippy Grandkids, Sour Father-in-Law (Thailand)
29. Due Date - Odd Couple, Wacky Trip, Go Together in Time for Birth. (Thailand)
30. Drive Angry - Super Speeding Cleaning Evil Accounts (Thailand)
31. And of course, what would a list about getting lost in translations be without the movie Lost in Translation, or as it’s known in Portugal, Meetings and Failures in Meetings.
For more pop culture fun, follow Cole Gamble on Twitter @ColeGamble.