12 Attempts to Bribe Celebrities for Worthy Causes
Want to contribute to a worthy cause and get your favorite celebrity to do something awesome and/or ridiculous? That’s the idea behind Charity Bribes.
Anyone can post something awesome or bizarre for a specific celebrity to do. These ideas go on a master list, where the good people of the Internet vote for their favorites. Currently on the leader board: “Morgan Freeman to spend an afternoon narrating user-submitted animal videos.”
The activity with the most votes when the current bribe expires (every 30 days) is the next one to be featured. People then pledge money to get the celeb to do the aforementioned awesome thing. If the celeb doesn’t take the bribe, no one has to give the money they pledged. If the celebrity follows through, the predetermined charity gets the cash that was raised.
Larry David fans recently pledged more than $10,000 in an attempt to get LD on Twitter. Larry hasn't reacted to the bribe yet, but he has 30 days from the end of the bribe to make good on the deal. I have a good feeling about the current bribe, which happens to be #1 on our list:
1. Get Conan O’Brien to interview a guest on his show wearing an eye patch and black turtleneck while holding a pipe. If asked why, he should say, “I don’t want to talk about it.” All proceeds from this bribe go to Autism Speaks.
2. Get Christopher Walken to read dramatically from an upper-level biochemistry textbook. Perhaps adding in relevant anecdotes about his life. Proceeds go to The Sierra Club.
3. Get Celine Dion to sing “I Want Your Sex” by George Michael. Proceeds go to Cystic Fibrosis Quebec.
5. Get Donald Trump to post a picture of how his hair looks when he wakes up. Proceeds go to St. Jude’s Children’s Hospital.
6. Get the Cast of the Wonder Years to reenact a famous scene. Proceeds go to United Way of NY.
7. Get Bill Clinton to do the Icky Shuffle and the Hokey Pokey on video. Proceeds go to the Clinton Global Initiative. (I feel like this probably happens at wedding receptions all of the time.)
8. Get Daniel Day Lewis to post a YouTube video of him reenacting the milkshake scene from There Will Be Blood with an eight year old drinking an actual milkshake. Proceeds go to AIDS. (I’m assuming that means the AIDS Foundation, but the user doesn't actually say).
9. Get Jack Black and Jack White to sing the hit song "Ebony and Ivory". Proceeds go to Little Kids Rock.
10. Get Katy Perry to switch places with Zooey Deschanel for a WHOLE episode of New Girl where no one acknowledges the switch. Proceeds go to Trevor Project.
11. Get Jeff Bridges to anchor ABC World News. Proceeds go to No Kid Hungry.
12. Get Christopher Lloyd to take a video of himself reenacting a scene from Back to the Future where he says "Great Scott!" Proceeds go to the Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research.