The Weird Week in Review

Image credit: 

Drunken Moose Hides Swing Set in Tree

A family in Storebro, Sweden arrived home one night to find evidence of a wildlife party. Apples were strewn over the backyard, and the children's swing set was missing. Sweden has a problem with moose (called elk in Europe) this time of year, because the animals eat fermented apples and become drunk. The homeowner called police, who brought in a hunter to find the inebriated moose. The perpetrator was never located, but the family's swing set was eventually found in the woods, propped up in a tree about 500 feet from its original spot.

Booked Hotel is 12,000 Miles Away

South Africans Michael and Sunette Adendorff went to New Zealand, but had trouble finding the Majestic Hotel, where they had made reservations. They inquired at a chemist's shop for help, but found there is no hotel at all in the town of Eastbourne. Shop assistant Linda Burke looked at their paperwork and realized the hotel they wanted was on the other side of the globe! The internet reservations were for the Majestic Hotel in Eastbourne, Sussex, England instead of Eastbourne, New Zealand. Burke looked for accommodations for the couple, but as all the bed and breakfasts were full, she invited them to stay at her home. The Adendorffs were unable to get a refund on the hotel due to short notice, but they enjoyed their stay in the small New Zealand town.

Eel Removed from Man's Bladder

Warning: this story may be painful to read. A man from Honghu, Hubei province, China went to a spa to swim with eels, a treatment that is supposed to rejuvenate the skin as the eels nibble on dead skin cells. Instead, one of the eels slithered up Zhang Nan's urethra! Zhang tried to catch it, but the slippery animal disappeared into his penis. The man rushed himself to a hospital, where surgeons removed a dead 6-inch eel from his bladder. The operation lasted three hours.

Slug Stops Traffic

How does a common garden slug bring traffic to a standstill? It happened in Darlington, England last Friday morning. Traffic lights went out and a contractor was brought in to repair the control box. They fund a slug had gotten into the controls and short-circuited them. Councillor Chris McEwan said he'd received many complaints about the traffic lights.

"A slug was certainly the last thing I was expecting to have caused the problem.

“We do not know how long the slug had been there.

Unfortunately, it was dead by the time we found it, so we were unable to question it.

“Sadly, you just can’t legislate for a rogue slug trying to take out Darlington’s traffic system.”

The control box will be sealed to keep other critters out.

Oversized Man Sues White Castle for Undersized Seats

Martin Kessman of Nanuet, New York filed suit against the local White Castle outlet after two years of complaints about the size of their dining booths. Kessman weighs 290 pounds, and has a hard time fitting between the seats and the table. The seats are stationary and cannot be adjusted by the customers. Kessman said his complaints were answered with three “very condescending letters" and food coupons. He said the company sent him plans to change the seats, which never happened.

Colorado Cat Found Years Later in NYC

Chris and Jamie Squires lived in Broomfield, Colorado with their children and a cat named Willow. When Willow went missing, they posted notices, but eventually figured the cat had been killed by coyotes. That was in late 2006 or early 2007. The Squires later moved to Boulder. On Wednesday, they got a call from the company that had implanted a microchip in their cat years earlier. Willow had been found in New York City! Willow, picked up on 20th street and taken to a shelter where her microchip was scanned, appears healthy, but there is no clue how she got to New York or where she has been for the past five years. The cat is staying with a foster family in New York until travel can be arranged.

Clean Your Plate or Else

A restaurant in Dammam, Saudi Arabia has instituted a new policy that fines people if they order more than they can eat. Fahad Al Anezi, owner of the Marmar Restaurant, says that some customers order far more than necessary to impress their guests and boost their prestige, leading to wasted food. The amount of the fine will be decided according to what's left over. He says the new idea was met with approval by Saudis.

More from mental_floss...

September 16, 2011 - 4:47am
webby
submit to reddit