Beyond Schweddy Balls: 10 Discontinued Ben & Jerry's Flavors
Today Ben & Jerry's announced their newest flavor—the Saturday Night Live-inspired Schweddy Balls ("Vanilla Ice Cream with a Hint of Rum and Loaded with Fudge Covered Rum and Malt Balls"). Here's a list of Ben & Jerry's flavors Schweddy Balls will one day join in the Flavor Graveyard.
1. Black & Tan. Chocolate & cream stout ice cream topped with a cream stout ice cream head. This guy was not even two years old - he lasted from March 2006-December 2007.
2. Capecodder. I can't find a single reference to what was actually in Capecodder. Chocolate-covered lobster bits and cranberries, perhaps? I know there are some Ben & Jerry's executives who occasionally peruse our site—if you're still reading, give us a hint!
3. Chips 'n' Dip. This one was listed along with some other dubious flavors (pepperoni pizza with anchovy swirl?!) during a 2006 call for new flavor ideas from the general public.
4. Economic Crunch, which we could probably use right about now. It was vanilla ice cream with chocolate-covered almonds, pecans and walnuts. It was created in response to the tanking stock market in 1987. Following the development of Economic Crunch and it's sister, That's Life (apple pie flavor), Ben & Jerry's sent their free scoop vehicle to Wall Street to try to soothe the panicked stockbrokers with a little sugar.
5. Jalapeno Lime Ice. 'Nuff said.
6. Tennessee Mud. I'd be all over this one, since it combines two of my favorite beverages: coffee and Jack Daniels. The base is coffee ice cream, mixed with Amaretto, JD, and roasted slivered almonds. Yum. Alas, I'm apparently alone in thinking it sounds good - it lasted only a year, from 1988 to 1989.
7. Peanut Butter & Jelly Sandwich also sounds pretty delicious to me - peanut butter ice cream with peanut butter chips and a swirl of strawberry jam. One scoop of that and one scoop of Chips 'n' Dip, and you've got lunch!
8. Concession Obsession sounds really wonderful, but I think I feel diabetes coming on just reading about it: vanilla bean ice cream with nonpareils, fudge-covered crisped rice candy (like Nestle's Crunch, I'm assuming), peanuts dipped in fudge and a caramel candy swirl. So good.
9. Bloody Mary Sorbet. This one might not have made it out of development, but it was in the running to become an actual flavor at one point.
10. Duff & D'oh!Nuts was part of The Simpsons Movie publicity blitz in 2007. It was chocolate and cream stout ice cream with chunks of glazed chocolate doughnuts. It was only available at the premiere of the movie in Springfield, Vermont, and in Scoop Shops the night before the DVD release.
* * *
If you liked this post, be sure to check out Jason English's "Discontinued Ben & Jerry's Flavor or Band I Found on MySpace?" quiz. I think I only gave one of them away.
And if you don't get the Schweddy Balls reference, here's that Alec Baldwin SNL sketch...