10 Times Jesus Appeared in Junk Food
On December 12, 1531, the Virgin Mary, the story goes, appeared on the cloak of a peasant named Juan Diego. Today, the image that appeared on the cloak is popularly known as the Virgin of Guadalupe. That may have been one of the earliest stories of a vision of Jesus or Mary appearing in a rather unconventional place, but mother and son have been popping up all over the place ever since then - especially, it seems, on food that's not particularly good for you. It should be noted that the Cloak appearance is sanctioned by the Catholic Church and treated as a miracle. The following 10 are not.
1. Cheeto. A couple from New York found Jesus in a bag of Cheetos they were sharing while driving cross-country last year. They’ve been keeping it wrapped in a watch box until they can find a buyer for it.
2. Potato Chip. In 2005, a couple in St. Petersburg, Florida, found Jesus while enjoying a greasy snack. He appeared to them in the form of a dark spot on a Lays Sour Cream and Onion potato chip.
3. Pizza Hut Spaghetti.
Joyce Simpson was checking out an Atlanta billboard for a promotion on Pizza Hut’s spaghetti in 1991 when she noticed something a bit odd in the giant picture of pasta: Jesus. His face was apparently among the strands of spaghetti hanging from the fork in the ad. Other people believed the figure looked more like Bjorn Borg, Willie Nelson or Jim Morrison. Sadly, I can't find a picture of the spaghetti Jesus. If one of you finds one, please let us know in the comments.
4. Funyon. You get both Mary and the baby Jesus in this snack food. A law clerk from West Virginia found this Funyon under his car seat and immediately recognized the image. He sold it on eBay for $609 in 2005.
5. Grilled Cheese. This is probably one of the most famous examples of religious experiences via food. In 1994, Diane Duyser made herself a grilled cheese sandwich. She got one bite in before she realized the Virgin Mary was beatifically gazing at her from the toast. She saved it for 10 years and it never got moldy or crumbly. She sold it to GoldenPalace.com with the condition that it not be eaten.
6. A Kit Kat Bar, on Good Friday no less. Just last year, a man was enjoying the chocolate treat when he noticed that the arrangement of wafers and the way he had bitten conspired to create the image of Jesus.
7. Marmite jar lid. A mom in Wales was making her son a piece of toast with Marmite on it when she happened to glance down at the lid that came off of the Marmite jar. There, on the underside, was Jesus, depicted in the yeast spread. They let the kids continue eating the Marmite but saved the lid.
8. Potato Chip #2. Just this year, a Bostonian woman found the image of Mary on a potato chip. As in our first example, it was a Lays potato chip. Coincidence?
9. Chocolate drippings. In 2006, a worker at an L.A.-area confectionery discovered that some chocolate had dripped from a spout that hadn't fully been stopped over the weekend, hardening into a shape that looked remarkably like Our Lady of Guadalupe.
10. Hot Chocolate. Also in 2006, the face of Jesus was spotted in the hot chocolate spill running down the side of a cup in Colombia.
Bonus: The Mother Theresa Nun Bun.