One of the best things about being a kid was settling down in front of cartoons on Saturday morning with a giant bowl of neon-colored, marshmallow-infested cereal. And thanks to those marketing geniuses behind the cartoons, if you were lucky, you could be eating the cartoon's sugary counterpart while you were watching the actual cartoon. Does life get any better than that? Here are a few of the most market-y cereals of yesteryear.
1. Bill and Ted's Excellent Cereal. Arsenio Hall once dared Keanu Reeves to try the cereal on his show. Despite claiming that the cereal made him a little nervous based on the fact that a "dog food company" made it (Ralston), he did chow down on a bowl on the show.
2. Donkey Kong Crunch. It's barrels of fun for breakfast - and if you don't believe me, maybe this commercial will convince you:
3. Pink Panther Flakes.
Since Post Cereal sponsored the cartoon, the cereal tie-in only made sense. And it came with another great commerical:
4. Nintendo Cereal System. Like a box of Nerds, this cereal was divided into two halves: one with fruity-flavored Mario characters and one with berry-flavored characters from the Legend of Zelda. And it's a highly sought-after collector's item these days: a box has gone for up to $200 on eBay.
6. Urkel-Os. This one might be my favorite based on pure ridiculousness. If you were hopelessly obsessed with the nerdy neighbor from Family Matters, then this strawberry and banana-flavored cereal was made just for you.
8. E.T. Cereal.. Peanut butter and chocolate-flavored cereal? Sign me up.
Any of these ring a bell? Or am I missing your favorite? Let us know in the comments.