5 Things You Don't Know About 5 Pro Wrestlers

Since WrestleMania is this Sunday, we decided to break with our normal Friday feature to give you five facts you might not have known about some of the biggest wrestlers of the WrestleMania era.

1. Hulk Hogan Wants to Rock

Before Hulk Hogan hit it big as a wrestler he spent close to a decade kicking around Florida as a bassist on the bar-rock circuit. Hogan may have achieved a lot of things since his bass-playing days, but apparently wrestling fame, an unlikely film career, and reality TV stardom haven't killed off the Hulkster's rock-star dreams. In November, he told the Chicago Tribune that he wanted to become the Rolling Stones' bass player.

"I was in England presenting an award with Jerry Hall, Mick Jagger's ex, and she told me the [Rolling] Stones were looking for a bass player," Hogan told the paper. "I sent her a ton of merchandise that she asked for and said, "˜Tell Mick I'm a great bass player.' I never heard a word back."

This rejection wasn't Hogan's first failed effort to join a band, either.

He also told the Tribune, "When Metallica was looking for a bass player, I called and never heard a word back from them either." There are really no words for how funny it would be to see the Hulkster on stage with Metallica, so here's hoping James Hetfield and company can make something happen.

2. He Really Is the Ultimate Warrior

Wrestling fans probably remember the Ultimate Warrior for his over-the-top ring entrances, his face paint, his bulging, tasseled biceps, and his big pinfall win over Hulk Hogan at WrestleMania VI. What they might not know is that he's actually named Warrior. As in, his driver's license just says, "Warrior."

The wrestler was born James Brian Hellwig in 1959, but in 1993 he began to realize that if he left the WWF, he'd lose the rights to the Ultimate Warrior name. To stave off potential advances from Vince McMahon's lawyers, Hellwig legally changed his name to "Warrior."

Believe it or not, the ploy worked. Warrior won legal challenges in 1996 and 1998 that enabled him to keep the Warrior name, gimmick, and mannerisms. Although the Warrior retired from wrestling in 2008, you can still occasionally find him working as a conservative commentator or public speaker.

3. Andre the Giant Had a Custom Ride

If you're at all interested in Andre the Giant, Terry Todd's 1981 profile for Sports Illustrated is a must-read.

Todd reveals all sorts of problems the gigantic Andre had with making it through everyday life, but one of the wrestler's biggest quandaries was being able to fit into a car. When he was wrestling for Vince McMahon in the early 1980s, though, McMahon outfitted Andre with a specialized ride that kept the grappler from having to tuck his head down between his enormous knees. McMahon bought a heavy-duty van, raised the roof by a foot and stuck a couch in the back so Andre could stretch out and have a beer or two. Or 117. (That's how many bottles of German beer Andre allegedly threw back in a single sitting in France in 1969. Other wrestlers would later claim they saw him put down upwards of 325 brews in an evening.)

4. Ric Flair is No Financial Guru

There are a lot of things you'd trust Ric Flair to do. He's tough to beat when it comes to yelling "Woo!" or applying figure-four leg locks. Would you really want to trust him with your finances, though? Apparently not, and Flair found out the hard way. In 2007 Flair opened the online financial company Ric Flair Finance, which promised to help clients secure loans using a "figure-4 process." Apparently the Nature Boy's signature move was more useful in the ring than it was in the loan market; Ric Flair Finance folded just over a year after setting up shop.

5. The Rock has a Guinness Record

Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson was adored by wrestling fans, so his decision to largely leave the business to pursue a film career may have seemed puzzling at first. When you look at the bottom line, though, it makes a bit more sense. According to the Guinness Book of World Records, the $5.5 million salary the Rock received for the 2002 film The Scorpion King was the largest sum ever paid to an actor for his first starring role.

Johnson has been pretty generous with all of that cash, too. In addition to starting a foundation to help terminally ill children, he gave his alma mater, the University of Miami, a $1 million donation to renovate its football facilities. The Hurricanes showed their gratitude by naming their locker room after Johnson.

'5 Things You Didn't Know About...' appears every Friday. If there's someone you'd like to see covered, leave us a comment. You can read the previous installments here.

See Also: WrestleMania Quiz (Part I and Part II), WWF Action Figure Quiz


5 Things You Didn't Know About Ansel Adams

You probably know Ansel Adams—born on February 20, 1902—as the man who helped promote the National Park Service through his magnificent photographs, but there was a lot more to the shutterbug than his iconic, black-and-white vistas. Here are five lesser-known facts about the celebrated photographer.


Adams was a four-year-old tot when the 1906 San Francisco earthquake struck his hometown. Although the boy managed to escape injury during the quake itself, an aftershock threw him face-first into a garden wall, breaking his nose. According to a 1979 interview with TIME, Adams said that doctors told his parents that it would be best to fix the nose when the boy matured. He joked, "But of course I never did mature, so I still have the nose." The nose became Adams' most striking physical feature. His buddy Cedric Wright liked to refer to Adams' honker as his "earthquake nose.


Adams was an energetic, inattentive student, and that trait coupled with a possible case of dyslexia earned him the heave-ho from private schools. It was clear, however, that he was a sharp boy—when motivated.

When Adams was just 12 years old, he taught himself to play the piano and read music, and he quickly showed a great aptitude for it. For nearly a dozen years, Adams focused intensely on his piano training. He was still playful—he would end performances by jumping up and sitting on his piano—but he took his musical education seriously. Adams ultimately devoted over a decade to his study, but he eventually came to the realization that his hands simply weren't big enough for him to become a professional concert pianist. He decided to leave the keys for the camera after meeting photographer Paul Strand, much to his family's dismay.


If you've ever enjoyed Kings Canyon National Park in California, tip your cap to Adams. In the 1930s Adams took a series of photographs that eventually became the book Sierra Nevada: The John Muir Trail. When Adams sent a copy to Secretary of the Interior Harold Ickes, the cabinet member showed it to Franklin Roosevelt. The photographs so delighted FDR that he wouldn't give the book back to Ickes. Adams sent Ickes a replacement copy, and FDR kept his with him in the White House.

After a few years, Ickes, Adams, and the Sierra Club successfully convinced Roosevelt to make Kings Canyon a national park in 1940. Roosevelt's designation specifically provided that the park be left totally undeveloped and roadless, so the only way FDR himself would ever experience it was through Adams' lenses.


While many of his contemporary fine art photographers shunned commercial assignments as crass or materialistic, Adams went out of his way to find paying gigs. If a company needed a camera for hire, Adams would generally show up, and as a result, he had some unlikely clients. According to The Ansel Adams Gallery, he snapped shots for everyone from IBM to AT&T to women's colleges to a dried fruit company. All of this commercial print work dismayed Adams' mentor Alfred Stieglitz and even worried Adams when he couldn't find time to work on his own projects. It did, however, keep the lights on.


Adams and legendary painter O'Keeffe were pals and occasional traveling buddies who found common ground despite their very different artistic approaches. They met through their mutual friend/mentor Stieglitz—who eventually became O'Keeffe's husband—and became friends who traveled throughout the Southwest together during the 1930s. O'Keeffe would paint while Adams took photographs.

These journeys together led to some of the artists' best-known work, like Adams' portrait of O'Keeffe and a wrangler named Orville Cox, and while both artists revered nature and the American Southwest, Adams considered O'Keeffe the master when it came to capturing the area. 

“The Southwest is O’Keeffe’s land,” he wrote. “No one else has extracted from it such a style and color, or has revealed the essential forms so beautifully as she has in her paintings.”

The two remained close throughout their lives. Adams would visit O'Keeffe's ranch, and the two wrote to each other until Adams' death in 1984.

Getty Images
5 Things You Should Know About Robert Todd Lincoln
Getty Images
Getty Images

Robert Todd Lincoln was Abraham Lincoln's oldest son and the only Lincoln child to survive into adulthood. While he didn't make quite the mark on history that his father did, Robert Lincoln had a pretty interesting life himself. Let's take a look at five things you might not know about him:

1. He Was on Ulysses S. Grant's Personal Staff

Getty Images

Part of Abraham Lincoln's mystique lies in his humble roots as a self-made man who found education where he could. His eldest son didn't have to go through quite as many trials and tribulations to do some learning, though. Robert left Springfield, Illinois, to attend boarding school at New Hampshire's elite Phillips Exeter Academy when he was a young man, and he later graduated from Harvard during his father's presidency.

After completing his undergrad degree, Robert stuck around Cambridge to go to Harvard Law School, but that arrangement didn't last very long. After studying law for just a few months, Lincoln received a commission as a captain in the army. Lincoln's assignment put him on Ulysses S. Grant's personal staff, so he didn't see much fighting. He did get a nice view of history, though; Lincoln was present as part of Grant's junior staff at Robert E. Lee's surrender at Appomattox Courthouse.

After the war ended, Lincoln moved to Chicago with his mother and brother and wrapped up his legal studies.

2. The Booth Family Did Him a Favor

Getty Images

In 1863 or 1864, young Robert Lincoln was traveling by train from New York to Washington during a break from his studies at Harvard. He hopped off the train during a stop at Jersey City, only to find himself on an extremely crowded platform. To be polite, Lincoln stepped back to wait his turn to walk across the platform, his back pressed to one of the train's cars.

This situation probably seemed harmless enough until the train started moving, which whipped Lincoln around and dropped him into the space between the platform and train, an incredibly dangerous place to be.

Lincoln probably would have been dead meat if a stranger hadn't yanked him out of the hole by his collar. That stranger? None other than Edwin Booth, one of the most celebrated actors of the 19th century and brother of eventual Lincoln assassin John Wilkes Booth.

Lincoln immediately recognized the famous thespian "“ this was sort of like if George Clooney pulled you from a burning car today "“ and thanked him effusively. The actor had no idea whose life he had saved until he received a letter commending him for his bravery in saving the President's son a few months later.

3. He Had a Strange Knack for Being Near Assassinations

Getty Images

Lee's surrender wasn't the only history Lincoln ended up witnessing, although things got a bit grislier for him after Appomattox. As he arrived back in Washington in April 1865 Lincoln's parents invited him to go see Our American Cousin at Ford's Theater with them. The young officer was so exhausted after his journey that he begged off so he could get a good night's sleep. That night, of course, John Wilkes Booth shot Lincoln's father, and Robert Todd was with the celebrated president when he passed away the next morning.

By 1881, Lincoln's political lineage and prominence as a lawyer qualified him for a national office, and he became Secretary of War under the newly inaugurated James A. Garfield. That July, Lincoln was scheduled to travel to Elberon, New Jersey, by train with the President, but the trip never took off. Before Lincoln and Garfield's train could leave the station, Charles Guiteau shot the Garfield, who died of complications from the wound two months later.

Oddly, that wasn't all for Lincoln, though. Two decades passed without a presidential assassination, but Lincoln's strange luck reared its head again in 1901. Lincoln traveled to Buffalo at the invitation of President William McKinley to attend the Pan-American Exposition. Although he arrived a bit late to the even, Lincoln was on his way to meet McKinley when anarchist Leon Czolgosz shot the president twice at close range.

Following these three bits of bad luck Lincoln refused to attend any presidential functions. He dryly noted that there was "a certain fatality about the presidential function when I am present."

4. He Realized His Mom Was a Little Nutty

Getty Images

Mary Todd Lincoln is fairly widely renowned today for being mentally ill, but it wasn't quite such an open secret when she was still alive. Robert, however, realized that his mother needed psychiatric help so she didn't become a danger to herself or an embarrassment to her family, so he had her involuntarily committed to a mental hospital in 1875 following a hearing that declared her insane.

Mary Todd was none too pleased about this plan. She not only snuck letters to her lawyer to help her escape from the institution, she also wrote newspaper editors in an effort to convince the public of her sanity. Mary Todd's ploy worked; at a second sanity hearing in 1876 she was declared sane and released from the Batavia, Illinois, sanatorium to which she'd been confined. However, by this point she'd been publicly humiliated and never really patched up her relationship with Robert before her death in 1882.

5. He Made Some Serious Dough on the Railroads


Once he got his legal practice up and running, Lincoln found a particularly lucrative clientele in the booming railroad industry. He spent most of his career working as a corporate lawyer for various railroads and train-related companies; the only breaks were his four-year stint as Secretary of War under Garfield and successor Chester A. Arthur and a four-year hitch as a minister to Britain under President Benjamin Harrison.

One of Lincoln's major clients was the Pullman Palace Car Company, for which he served as general counsel. When founder George Pullman died in 1897, Lincoln became president of the company, and in 1911 he became chairman of the Pullman Company's board. His lofty position in one of the country's most lucrative companies made him a millionaire and enabled Lincoln to build a sprawling estate, Hildene, in Manchester, Vermont.


More from mental floss studios