The Quick 10: The Poop on Peeps

filed under: peeps, q10
Image credit: 

I love Peeps. I don't want them right out of the box, though. I prefer to cut a small slit in the box, then let them sit around for a few days getting a little bit crunchy. That's right: stale Peeps. One of life's little pleasures. But you don't have to have a serious sugar jones to appreciate the value of a Peep. Check out these 10 ways you can make use of the sugar-coated, marshmallow chicks.

peeps1. Peeps aren't just for Easter"¦ but you probably already knew that. There are apparently some people out there that don't realize that Peeps come in more shapes than chicks and bunnies, because Just Born, the company that makes them, has recently adopted the slogan "Peeps: Always in Season." And they are, pretty much. You can get them in Halloween shapes, Christmas shapes, Valentine's Shapes and even Fourth of July shapes. I think they're missing the boat on shamrock Peeps, myself.

2. The Peep-making process is almost totally automated now, but there was a day when each shape was formed by hand. From start to finish, it took 27 hours to make a Peep when they were first introduced to the public in 1953; these days you can have a fresh "˜mallow in your hot little hand in six minutes flat.

3. Peeps aren't just for eating. They're for crafts and experiments as well.

4. According to Just Born's research, my love of stale Peeps isn't very normal. Only 17 percent of people polled liked crunchy Peeps; the other 83 percent take theirs fresh out of the box. To which I say: Have you ever tried it? Give (stale) Peeps a chance.

peepmobile5. The Oscar Mayer Wienermobile may be more well known, but I'd be positively delighted to see a giant Peep speeding down the highway. Also "“ free samples?

6. Peeps have been the best-selling non-chocolate Easter candy for more than a decade.

7. Peep chicks come in several different colors. They were originally just yellow and pink; white wasn't too far behind. Lavender wasn't added until 1995, and blue chicks made their debut in 1998 for Just Born's 75th anniversary. Proving that sometimes the original is still the best, yellow is still the best-selling color.

8. There was a fire in the Peeps part of the Just Born factory in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, in 1999 that destroyed huge batches of Peep chicks and bunnies. The damaged candy was sold as an animal feed ingredient, but don't worry, Just Born managed to recover in time for their main holiday. I'm happy to report that there were no Peep shortages for the 2000 Easter season. Whew.

9. Think you have the stomach for 102 Peeps in 30 minutes? That's where the record stands at the moment. "The Dennis Gross Sacramento Peep Off" is held annually to try to top this 2003 record. Participants chow down for 30 minutes, then have to sit for five and prove that they can keep all of that sugary goodness down. The most recent winner fell short with only 45 consumed. Celebs like to get in on the Peep contest action as well "“ check out Dane Cook and Jimmy Kimmel competing to see how many Peeps they could fit into their mouths on Jimmy's show last year. I'm not saying it's pretty.

10. Peeps make a pretty good fine art project, too. Miss C. has posted some of the best Peep art for the past couple of years, which you can find here and here.

Do you love Peeps or hate "˜em? Any special technique for eating them? I'm telling you"¦ try them a little stale this year. You won't regret it.

More from mental_floss...

March 19, 2010 - 1:37pm
webby
submit to reddit