The Quick 10: 10 Famous Spare Parts (or missing parts)
I'm disturbingly interested in medical oddities (I know I'm not the only one out there, flossers), and the fact that these belong to people we know make them even more interesting. At least, it does to me. Your mileage may vary. Our awesome researcher turned up tons of fascinating information on this, so if you guys are as weirdly entertained by this stuff as I am, consider a part two in the works. Leave a comment below and let me know if you're for it or against it.
1. Lily Allen has a third nipple, and she's not afraid to show it off (SFW)
2. Mark Wahlberg. I know what you're thinking "“ "He was wearing next-to-nothing in those Calvin Klein ads and I don't recall seeing a third nipple." They airbrushed it out. It's about the size of a quarter and sits just below his regular nipple. He says he once considered having it removed, but has since come to accept it "“ in fact, he has even called it his "prized possession."
3. Tilda Swinton (SWINTON to you Fug fans). Unlike Lily and Mark, Tilda doesn't really go around showing hers off. But it's there, according to MSNBC.
4. Carrie Underwood was born with a triple nipple but had it removed before she skyrocketed to stardom. She actually revealed this little tidbit in her American Idol audition.
5. Daryl Hannah lost part of her left index finger when she was a child "“ she told the Sunday Times of South Africa that she got it stuck in a pulley in a well at her grandma's house when she was little. Ow. She sometimes wears a prosthetic finger in her movies. She must be self-conscious about it, because of all of the many published pictures of Miss Hannah, I couldn't find one with her left index finger showing prominently.
6. Antonio Alfonseca, an MLB relief pitcher who last played with the Phillies, has six fingers on each hand (I only see five on the right hand in this picture, but I'm guessing it's probably just a nub between some other fingers) and six toes on each foot. It doesn't bother him, though "“ he told The Miami Herald, "I think God gave me more fingers and toes because He wanted to show that I'm special and that I will be special someday." He has also said that it doesn't impact his pitching at all because the sixth finger doesn't touch the ball.
7. Bond Girl Gemma Arterton (Strawberry Fields in Quantum of Solace) was born with an extra finger but had it lopped off at birth. It was a hereditary thing: her dad and granddad had 11 digits as well. She told Esquire, "I feel like we're one step ahead - a sign of things to come."
And, contrary to popular belief, Anne Boleyn did probably not have an extra finger. Or an extra breast. Or extra toes. She was, however, missing her head. (Rimshot)
No Belly Buttons
8. Karolina Kurkova's missing belly button was famously publicized after her appearance in a Victoria's Secret fashion show last year. It's not the result of a tummy tuck "“ experts say she probably had an umbilical hernia as a baby (her publicist confirmed that it was the result of an operation she had as an infant). She gets one airbrushed in for the catalog photos, though.
9.Patricia Heaton's missing button is the result of surgery - she had four kids by C-Section and had surgery to fix things. Her belly button was herniated, she said, "Then there was that skin that hung there. It didn't work to suck it in. It wouldn't have mattered if I had done 1,000 sit-ups."
10. Alfred Hitchcock apparently joins Patricia and Karolina in the absent belly button brigade. He once told actress Karen Black that he didn't have one, and she laughed it off. It sounds like something weird Hitch would say, right? According to her, he promptly pulled up his shirt and showed her. His was also the result of surgeries "“ he had lots of gastrointestinal problems.
Have a good Q10 suggestion for me? Send me a Tweet!