I'm celebrating birthday number 26 today, so I thought I would see what other factoids I could find about the number.
10 Facts About the Number 26
1. A Rubik's Cube can always be solved in 26 moves or less.
2. In 26 B.C., Cleopatra Selene got married, so Augustus Caesar made her the queen of Mauretania as a wedding present (note to people wondering what to get me...).
3. In 1926, Route 66 was established.
4. Scientist Heinz von Foerster predicted that on November 11, 2026, technological singularity will occur - the point where we will reach a level of technological progress previously unknown to man. This includes the ability for machines to make themselves smarter, and, you know, finish off the human race.
5. 26 is the only number between a square number and a cube number.
6. 26 years ago (May 30, to be exact), Cal Ripken began his consecutive game streak of 2,632 games played.
7. In 1726, Isaac Newton told William Stukeley how he developed the theory of gravity.
8. Quincy Jones has won 26 Grammys.
9. Michigan is the 26th state to be admitted to the United States.
10. Asteroid number 26, Proserpina, was discovered in 1853. It is named after the Roman goddess, daughter of Ceres and the Queen of the Underworld. She is the Roman equivalent of the Greek goddess Persephone.