Digging for VHS Gold
Last week's Friday Happy Hour shattered the previous week's attendance record, with 131 comments. That will be tough to beat.
1) I've made a few trips to my parents' house, searching for quiz ideas. Piled up with my old WWF action figures and baseball cards are several boxes of VHS tapes. Back in middle school, I was rapid with the record button. Between 1991 and 1993—my definitive VCR days—I taped nearly every episode of Saturday Night Live, Cheers and Seinfeld, plus rare treasures like "A Concert for Life" and the 1992 NFL Pro Bowl. Sadly, I was unable to locate any episodes of The Magic Hour, which I distinctly remember recording in 1998. (If you happen to possess any Magic Hour footage, let's make a deal.)
Today's first topic: what's the most intriguing VHS tape you still own? [We're not looking for movies you've bought in VHS format. Rather, stuff you've taped from TV or shot yourself.]
2. Mangesh (floss Co-founder), Jenny (Senior Editor, magazine) and I moved into our new Brooklyn office this week. Right now, the walls are literally a blank canvas. Got any ideas for how we should cover them?
3. Keeping with that theme, what's the most embarrassing poster to ever adorn your bedroom wall?
4. When I last filled up my trusty Camry, I believe I paid $3.09/gallon. According to news reports, that sounds like a steal. What's the price of gas where you live?
5. Let's say I offered you the chance to go study abroad for a semester, regardless of your age, financial situation and family obligations. (Let's be clear: I'm not offering this.) Where would you go? What would you study?
[See transcripts of previous Friday Happy Hours]