Every weekday until Halloween, I'll be offering up trivia treats about sweets you're likely to encounter on October 31st. Today we're talking about Tootsie Rolls.
1. Tootsie Rolls were introduced in 1896. They get their name from creator Leo Hirshfield's daughter, whose nickname was Tootsie.
2. The Tootsie Pop was introduced in 1931.
3. There are 62 million Tootsie Rolls produced every single day.
4. Tootsie Rolls were the first wrapped penny candy.
5. Tootsie Rolls were included in soldier rations during World War II because they could withstand any weather condition.
6. Ellen Gordon was named president of the company in 1978. She was the second woman ever to be named president of a company traded on the New York Stock Exchange.
7. Tootsie Roll Industries also owns Andes Mints, Junior Mints, Blow Pops, Caramel Apple Pops, Charleston Chew, Dots, Double Bubble and Sugar Babies.
8. The Tootsie Roll costume pic is courtesy of BuyCostumes.com.
Tomorrow: Candy Apples. Yesterday: Snickers.