Sweet Talk, Day One: Snickers
Every weekday until Halloween, I'll be offering up trivia treats about sweets you're likely to encounter on October 31st. We'll start with Snickers.
1. Snickers was invented in 1930 and was sold for a nickel.
2. Fun-size Snickers weren't invented until 1968.
3. The candy bar's namesake was actually the Mars family's favorite horse.
4. Snickers was the sponsor of the Howdy Doody Show from 1949-1952.
5. It was originally sold as the Marathon bar in the U.K. and Ireland.
6. In July 2005, Snickers and Mars Bars were recalled in New South Wales and Australian Capital Territory. The Mars company received three anonymous letters threatening to put poisoned candy on store shelves. One of the letters included a Snickers that had been compromised with an unidentified substance. A massive recall was issued and no one was hurt.
Tomorrow: Tootsie Rolls.