It's time for another whimsical Tuesday Turnip search wherein I type a random phrase and we see what kind of interesting bits of information "turn-up."
In the spirit of our cool Ex-Presidents Quiz from earlier this week, today I typed in "the only president ever to," unearthing the following (click on Presidents' names for link to Web sites):
- Reagan was the only president to be a head of a labor union (Screen Actors Guild), was the only president to be wounded and survive an assassination attempt, and was the only president to have ever worn a NAZI uniform. (He wore it as an actor in a movie.)
- Clinton, the only President ever to be elected twice without ever receiving 50% of the popular vote"¦ Bill Clinton was the first and only president to have been a Rhodes Scholar.
- Grover Cleveland: 22nd and 24th president of the United States (1885"“89 and 1893"“97) and the only president ever to serve two discontinuous terms.
- Andrew Johnson (1808-1875), seventeenth president of the United States, was the only president ever to be impeached.
- Cleveland was the only President ever to be married in the White House
- Lincoln was the only President ever to obtain a patent. In 1849 he invented a complicated device for lifting ships over dangerous shoals by means of "buoyant air chambers." Much to Lincoln's disappointment, U.S. Patent No. 6,469 was never put into practical use
- Nixon is the only president ever to resign from office.
- The only president ever to be censured was Andrew Jackson in 1834. The Senate voted 26-20 to censure Jackson in his second term after he refused to turn over a document related to his decision to remove federal deposits from the Bank of the United States. Three years later, with its balance of power reversed, the Senate voted to expunge the censure text from the record.
- During his boyhood [Gerald Ford] joined the Boy Scouts, attaining the rank of Eagle Scout--the only president ever to hold that distinction.