The Namesakes of 10 Legendary Drawn Characters
1. All the Simpsons, excluding Bart, were named after the family members of creator, Matt Groening. Father Homer Groening, mother Marge and sisters Lisa and Maggie.
2. Nemo, the clown fish in Finding Nemo was named after Captain Nemo, a character in Jules Verne's novels: 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea and The Mysterious Island.
3. The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles were each named for a different Renaissance artist: Raphael, Michelangelo, Donatello, and Leonardo.
4. Huckleberry Hound was named after Huckleberry Finn, from Mark Twain's novel The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
5. Calvin and Hobbes were named after John Calvin, the 16th C. French theologian, and Thomas Hobbes, the 17th century English political philosopher.
6. Yogi Bear was named after Yogi Berra, the Yankees' hall-of-fame catcher.
7. Pepe Le Pew was named after Pepe le Moko, the protagonist in a novel by Henri La Barthe of the same name. Moko is slang for a man from Marseilles.
8. The Chipmunks were named after three Liberty Records executives: Alvin Bennett, Theodore Keep and Simon Waronker. Liberty was the real trio's original label, before they were turned into cartoon stars.
9. Garfield was named after creator Jim Davis's grandfather, James Garfield Davis, who'd been named after U.S. President James Abram Garfield.
10. Bullwinkle J. Moose was named after Clarence Bullwinkel, a car dealer that the moose's creators, Jay Ward and Alex Anderson, knew. (BTW: the J. is from Jay, I believe.)
If you have others to add to this list, by all means, slap "˜em down in the comments. We'd love to hear about them!