The August issue of Popular Mechanics is all about survival. While much of the content is available only for subscribers, PM provides some key tidbits free via the web. Here's a sample from 18 Extra Crisis Tips:
- Head to your basement. If your home doesn't have one, go to a storm shelter or a neighbor's basement or, at the very least, the lowest floor of your structure. Put as many walls between you and the outside as possible, and avoid corners, windows and doors.
- Get under a sturdy table and protect your head and neck with your arms.
- Do not open windows.
- Make sure you are dressed and have shoes on. It may be hard to find such things after the storm, and you will have to walk through debris.
- If you're in your car, get out and seek shelter. Do not get under an overpass or bridge; you're safer in a low, flat location.
- Quiz: Are You Ready for Disaster?
- Emergency Rations Aren't as Gross as You Thought: Taste Test (does looking gross count?)
- How to Safely Install a Power Generator: Video
- Portraits of Survival from Tornado-Torn Kansas: Audio Slideshow
If that's not enough for you, it's apparently $12 for a one-year subscription.