Take me out to the matzoball game
Israel is getting its own baseball league this year "“ the IBL "“ and lots of jokes are going to be made, I'm sure, about the hotdogs being kosher and whether or not games will be played on the Sabbath. But what I'm really interested in is this: will third base be first base and vice-versa? Will leftfield be rightfield and vice versa? Will the whole game, in effect, be played backward?
You think I'm joking, but I once received a picture from an Israeli friend who ordered the caption from right to left. Seriously.
Anyway, you can read all about the nascent league on their official website. Of note is the contest they're running on the sidebar, which is designed to test your knowledge of both baseball and the Bible.
You are invited to come up with your own version of a baseball story, a baseball game, or another baseball-themed compilation, derived from various verses in the Tanach (That's the Five Books of Moses, the books of the Prophets, and the Writings). Each submission must contain at least ten verses and be from at least five separate books of the Tanach (each of the Five Books of Moses counts as a separate book). The submissions judged to be the best, based on originality and exhibited effort, will win prizes"¦
Go check it out for more information. Meanwhile, after the jump, some interesting, fun examples of "baseball" mentions in the Bible that they've put together.
- Behold, Rebecca came forth with her pitcher"¦ -- Genesis 24:45
- The children of Israel asked,"¦"Who shall go up for us first against the Canaanites? -- Judges 3:15
- ...Seek out a man who is a skillful player"¦ -- Samuel I 16:16
- ...and (it)"¦was foul"¦ -- Exodus 7:21
- And Moses went out"¦ -- Numbers 11:24
- And Miriam was shut out"¦ -- Numbers 12:15
- ...and Aaron waved"¦ -- Leviticus 9:21
- ...and he delivered up"¦ -- Numbers 21:3
- ...for it was an error"¦ -- Numbers 15:25
- ...second and third"¦ -- Genesis 6:16
- Thou shalt fan them"¦ -- Isaiah 41:16
- Then Joseph commanded to fill"¦the"¦sacks"¦ -- Genesis 42:25
- ...and all the people saw this and they shouted"¦ -- Leviticus 9:24
- Who can stand before the Giants? -- Deuteronomy 9:2
- ...and pitched on the other side"¦ -- Numbers 21:13
- Noah walked"¦ -- Genesis 6:9
- Let us go and sacrifice"¦ -- Exodus 5:8