So I finally got around to seeing "The Queen," and although most of the performances were spot-on, I felt like the guy playing Prince Philip must have caricatured him a bit. Nobody could be that brash, could they? ... Could they?
It seems they could. Here are some quotes from the real Prince Philip:
- On meeting Aborigines in Australia: Do you still throw spears at each other?
- At a 1986 World Wildlife Fund meeting: If it has got four legs and it is not a chair, if it has got two wings and it flies but is not an aeroplane, and if it swims and it is not a submarine, the Cantonese will eat it.
- Asking a driving instructor in Oban, Scotland: How do you keep the natives off the booze long enough to get them to pass test?
- Asked if he would like to visit the Soviet Union: The bastards murdered half my family.
- During the 1981 recession: Everybody was saying we must have more leisure. Now they are complaining they are unemployed.
- To British students in China: If you stay here much longer, you'll all get slitty-eyed.
- To a student who had been trekking in Papua New Guinea: You managed not to get eaten, then?
- To a blind woman with a guide dog: Do you know they have eating dogs for the anorexic now?
James Cromwell, I owe you an apology.